The First Church of Christ, Scientist, Marlborough, has been an active member of Marlborough's religious community since 1898, with the first informal services dating to 1891. Our church is a branch of The Mother Church, The First Church of Christ, Scientist, Boston.
The subject for Sunday, Jan. 18, 2015: Life
Golden Text: Reverence for the Lord is a fountain of life; its waters keep a man from death.
-- Proverbs 14:27
We hold Sunday services each week from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. The Bible and "Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures," by Mary Baker Eddy, the discoverer and founder of Christian Science, constitute our dual pastor. The Sunday service includes hymns, selected readings from the Bible, and the healing word found in each week's Bible Lesson-Sermon. Care for children under the age of three is provided during all of our services.
We hold Sunday School for young people up to the age of 20. Classes are held at the same time as our Sunday service. Students focus initially on the Ten Commandments, Christ Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, and on the Lord's Prayer and its spiritual interpretation found in "Science and Health." As students' understanding of God and their relationship to Him grows, they also delve deeply into each week's Lesson-Sermon to discover its practical, healing application to their lives.
We hold a mid-week service for an hour each Wednesday, beginning at 7:30 p.m. Topical readings from the Bible and from "Science and Health" anchor the service. But the congregation plays a key role as well. Members and visitors have an opportunity to share their gratitude for the practical effect of their deepening understanding of God, through testimonies of healing and sharing experiences where they have witnessed the power of God active in their lives.Return to top
We hold a service each Thanksgiving Day, the fourth Thursday in November. The one-hour service includes a special Thanksgiving Lesson-Sermon and sets aside time for members and visitors to share their gratitude for God's blessings. The service begins at 10:00 a.m.Return to top
Our Reading Room is a healing place for spiritual refreshment, for quiet prayer and study. You will find Bibles, copies of "Science and Health" and other writings by Mary Baker Eddy. We carry the Christian Science periodicals, which include testimonies of healing, copies of The Christian Science Monitor Magazine, and CDs of the Sentinel Radio series. All of these are available for purchase. We also have Bible study guides, bound volumes of Christian Science periodicals from past years, tapes of Bible workshops, children’s books, inspirational CDs, as well as each week's Bible Lesson Sermon for study. Our Reading Room is located inside our church on the second floor. The entrance is on the side of the church on Winthrop Street. We are open every Monday, Friday, and Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. except for holidays, and from 7:00 to 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday evenings before our mid-week service.Return to top
Our church and
Reading Room are located at 85 West Main Street, Marlborough, Mass. Our
phone number: 508-485-3217.
(Remove the underscores before sending.) Use the map below to help you find your way!
These six cardinal points of Christian Science are found in "Science and Health," as well as in the "Church Manual of The First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston," by Mary Baker Eddy. The Manual contains provisions that govern the conduct of officers and members of the Mother Church, the First Church of Christ, Scientist, Boston.
1. As adherents of Truth, we take
the inspired Word of the Bible as our sufficient guide to eternal life.
2. We acknowledge and adore one supreme and infinite God. We acknowledge His Son, one Christ; the Holy Ghost or divine Comforter; and man in God's image and likeness.
3. We acknowledge God's forgiveness of sin in the destruction of sin and the spiritual understanding that casts out evil as unreal. But the belief in sin is punished so long as the belief lasts.
4. We acknowledge Jesus' atonement as the evidence of divine, efficacious Love, unfolding man's unity with God through Christ Jesus the Way-shower; and we acknowledge that man is saved through Christ, through Truth, Life, and Love as demonstrated by the Galilean Prophet in healing the sick and overcoming sin and death.
5. We acknowledge that the crucifixion of Jesus and his resurrection served to uplift faith to understand eternal Life, even the allness of Soul, Spirit, and the nothingness of matter.
6. And we solemnly promise to watch and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure.